Country overview: Italy is the most versatile and popular destination for international students. It is a country of diverse beauty, culture, and history. Education in Italy is excellent and highly esteemed with an affordable tuition fee than other Western European countries. Italy has a rich historical background in terms of higher education system with traditional and advanced format both. Among the world’s most sought-after international destinations which consists of an incredible array of cultural, historic, and touristic heritage. The European international higher education system, offers ample amount of learning, skill-building, and global networking opportunities all because of the stellar reputation of all its educational institutions. There are more than 30,000 international students in Italy, including independent students as well.
Italy plays a significant role in academia, fostering the reform of European higher education through various kinds of process as, Bologna Process. This country has been ranked in top eight industrialized countries in the world with ample scope for cutting edge research and job opportunities in variety of fields. All the aspirants seeking the opportunity to develop, transform and enhance their knowledge, Italy has the true variety of cultural competency with seascapes, world heritage sites, trendy fashion and fabulous food makes it irresistible for every aspirant.
It offers quality higher education with more affordable tuition fees than other Western European countries. There are around 32,000 international students in Italy, including independent students and those on exchange programmes. The country has a rich history and tradition of higher education. This makes it an attractive option for students.
Why study in Italy:
Italy is in the league of excellence in science, research and creativity when the renaissance of the 14th to 17th century emerged or originated a spark of these leagues.
- Across Europe, intellectual activity and creativity flourished with an outstanding educational system based on solid notions, scientific methods, and creative approach.
- Its educational system widely offers courses in English in a dynamic and pleasant environment as well.
- The University of Bologna, founded in 1088, is recognised as the oldest university still operational.
- 15 Italian universities have placed in the list of Top 200 QS World university rankings.
- In the recent higher education system, reform known as the “Bologna Process” was formed by signing the Sorbonne Declaration in 1998 as a first step.
- Today’s era, the Bologna Process is now being implemented throughout Europe which has created the European Area of Higher Education.
- 6 months stay back available for the students.
- In vacations students can work 20 hours per week.
- Industrial opportunities –ship building, Aircraft commercial vehicles, electrical goods, textiles etc. offering excellent job possibilities.
- Extremely warm work and study environment with cooperative people.
- Industry collaborated designed courses to increase employability.
- Follows English as the primary medium of instructions. Italian language is also taught from beginning to advance levels.
- Scholarships, fee waivers, free housing, refectory meal tickets are provided to the eligible students.
Italy has around 97 universities, which are divided into several categories; among them major are:
- State universities: These are state funded public institutions and spread majority in Italy.
- Other publicly funded universities: Funded by Province rather than state.
- Private universities: Non state funded.
- Superior Graduate Schools: These are independent institutions that offer advanced training and research courses specialising in postgraduate studies.
Italy study visa requirements & Eligibility criteria:
There are basic and necessary requirements and eligibility criteria for the students like—
- Apply to an Italian university and get the acceptance letter for the visa application.
- Now, find the type of visa you need, as in for EU/EEA or international student visa all depending on stay back for studies.
- A valid passport, with at least two blank visa pages and valid for at least three months after the expected end date of your study program;
- A completed visa application form;
- A copy of your itinerary to and from Italy,
- Proof of no criminal record;
- Proof of language proficiency in Italian or English (depending on the language of your study program);
- Proof of adequate financial means to support yourself (between €450 and €515 monthly);
- Proof of adequate accommodation in Italy;
- Proof of adequate medical insurance; and
- Proof you’ve paid the associated application fee.
Study in Italy for Indian students:
Among the excellent pool of diverse technical, professional, traditional and research-based degree or diploma courses, Italy offers a variety of internationally recognized courses to the students. Italian universities also provide financial assistance to the students with scholarship schemes. Indian students can avail all the government scheme benefits for the students like, Italian Government Scholarships for Foreign Students, EDSIU Piemonte Scholarships, Bologna University Study Grants for International Students, and many more to the meritorious awards and eligible students.
Study in Italy cost:
- Approximately 3300 Euros per year, fee may vary depending on the university and course of study.
- For the specialized degree and doctoral courses, the fee would be on a higher side.
At Italian institutions tuition fee can vary, but they are normally lower than in other parts of Europe or North America. This enticing proposition makes Italian universities an affordable match and aligned with the needs of the international students as a fair chance for the higher foreign studies.
There are plenty of options available for the foreign students with scholarships and study fundings. All the students can apply for financial fundings which are distributed as per their eligibility and financial situation. This can support the students to meet accommodation needs, tuition fees and in other living costs. Therefore, one can contact their chosen institution for the financial aids available as per their eligibility. If one is an international student and opting a private university for UG or PG should expect higher costs as compare to the Italian citizens.
|Public Universities: EUR 1,000 per annum (approx.)|
|Private Universities: EUR 10,000 – 30,000 per annum (approx.)|
Cost of study in Italy for Indian students:
It depends on the variety of institutions and degree or diploma courses for one is applying. However, there are following names of most affordable university offering quality education in Italy are:
- University of Camerino
- University of Pisa
- Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
- Mediterranean University of Reggio Calarbria
Processing time for Italy study visa:
Visas for non-EU students—
There are two types of student visas in Italy, depending on the duration of the study program:
- Visa type C: Short-stay visa or travel visa valid for one or more entries and for a period not exceeding 90 days
- Visa type D: Long-stay visa valid for more than 90 days
Apart from the type of visa one is applying, start the process well in advance of the intended date of entry to Italy, as the processing time can be lengthy. One should contact their closest Italian embassy or consulate to make a visa appointment as soon as they will receive a letter of admission from their Italian institution.
At the time of entering Italy through the type D visa, one needs to report their arrival to the Questura station within 8 days of their arrival into Italy. They will have a residence permit card sent by the authority to prove their legal residency status within the country.
Regarding, the language requirement to study in Italy there are no specific language requirements. But for an English taught degree, one needs to pass one of the following English language tests for instance:
- IELTS Academic
- TOEFL iBT
- PTE Academic
However, for an UG course, students are required to provide a valid score of IELTS with overall 6.0 bands with no less than 5.5 bands in each module. The band range also vary from institution to institution one is applying to. Hence, one should check the eligibility for language requirement.
Top reasons to study in Italy:
- The national language of Italy is Italian, so it is a great chance to learn another language. Having multiple languages is a fantastic skill, and looks great on your CV!
- Milan is the fashion capital of Italy
- Industry based and recent trendy skill-sets
- Historical, ancient and diverse cultural education system
Work permit after study in Italy: All the international student pursuing their studies at Italian university would be allowed to work for up to 20 hours in a week during term. Whether, they are students or want to do a part term job while studying to meet the daily necessity requirements. However, one can take up full time employment during vacations. They need to apply for a work permit at a local immigration office in Italy. One can sign an employment contract first and present a copy of it at the immigration office.
YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS: How to get a Canadian Student Visa
How to get PR in Italy after study:
For a non-EU or international student, they can apply for a permanent residence permit at any post office within eight days of their arrival in Italy.
The required documents:
- A copy of their passport
- Copy of health insurance plan
- National student visa for Italy
- A copy of the statement certifying the studies for which one has enrolled themselves
- Four recent passport size photographs.
Also note, the temporary residency visa must be obtained by the student first arriving in Italy for non-EU citizens. After that only they can apply for PR permit in Italy. A student must stay in the country for at least 5 years as a minimum period requirement before applying for PR.
Beyond Immigration among India’s trusted and renowned name in immigration consultancy provides an excellent migration assistance to the clients across the globe. In a vibrant and fashionista landscape one can achieve the avenue of their potential and career. Our immigration experts can guide you in an effective way with our diverse global networks!